I love scented candles. My house is filled with nice candles and, unfortunately for me, I have expensive taste in candles. Yankee candles are my favourite. The only problem is it feels wasteful to throw them out when the candle wick is burnt out. There is still so much leftover wax left. This got me thinking….what about making DIY wax melts?!!! It turns out they are so easy to make and they smell amazing! Check out the video above to see how to make the DIY wax melts.
What you’ll need to make DIY wax melts
- Old candles
- Heatproof dish – not plastic, it will soak in the smell
- Cupcake liners
- Butter knife
How to make DIY wax melts
- Remove wax from old candles
- Use the butter knife to remove the wax discs that hold the candle wicks in place at the bottom of the candle.
- Break up the wax and place the wax into a heatproof dish and microwave on high until melted. Check it every two minutes and stir. Mine took about eight minutes. If you want to melt the wax on your hob, use a bain marie. Never heat the candle wax directly in a pot as it is a fire hazard.
- Pour the melted wax into the cupcake liners. Mind your hands, it is very hot.
- Let the wax melts cool and then they are ready to be used in your wax burner.
It’s that easy to make DIY wax melts! I hope this helps.